When this tape is sewn and the cords are pulled up, consistent vertical gathers are created. In addition, a loop backing allows for installation to hook tape, perfect for easy attaching on beds or valances.
1. Create a drapery or valance, finishing the side and bottom edges.
2. At the top, turn down the desired heading size and press with an iron. Heading sizes can vary based on the gathering effect desired, for example; on a valance the top edge can be turned down 3¼ and the bottom edge of the tape placed 3¼ down from the top to create a 2pleat heading above the tape. For a dust ruffle, it may be best to turn down 1 and place the tape even along the top edge.
3. Measure and cut the amount of tape needed, allowing 3 extra. At each end of the tape, pull out the cords 1½ from the end and tie together.
4. Tuck under the cut edges and pin the tape in place with the loop side facing out. Machine stitch on both edges being careful not to sew over the shirring cords.
5. After the tape is sewn, pull up the cords to the desired width, spacing the pencil pleats evenly as you pull the cords.
6. Staple or apply pressure sensitive hook strip to a mounting board or frame. Simply press the tape to the hook strip.